7305 days, 20 trips around the sun and 2 decades… Today I finally turn 20 and I can’t even begin to express my emotions to you. I am so happy and so over the moon excited, but at the same time, a little part of me will miss 19.
19 has been the most pivotal year in my life so far. So many wonderful things happened, that I don’t even know where to begin. For starters, I started my blog, switched schools, got the best job ever, found my soul sisters, and learned a crazy ton about myself. 19 was a wild ride, and I loved every moment of it, but I am even more excited for bigger and better things in this year to come.
To me, I believe 20 to be the most defining decade. So many amazing things are suppose to happen in your 20s like graduation, getting a “real job”, finding your spouse, and so on. I can’t wait for all of these amazing things to happen to me, so with that said…
Bring it on! because I am ready!
As a celebratory b-day post, I thought it would be fun to share some major lessons I have learned so far in my 20 years. These all came to me in the form of personal experiences or life lessons. Life so far for me has had it’s own ups and down, but I have learned to appreciate them all because they make me up and create who I am. Anything in life can be seen as a lesson, and that is exactly how I choose to see it.
Okay, are you ready? Here we go!
- Take care of yourself: Wowza, this has been a big one this past year. I had to learn hard and fast that you need to take care of yourself and put yourself before others to truly be healthy, happy, and centered. If you don’t practice this already you need to. It shouldn’t even be on option.
- Love yourself: Again, this was something that I really learned this past year. I think we all struggle with body image and body positivity in some form or another and this is something we need to change. We are walking miracles and we need to acknowledge that! We need to start loving ourselves for who we are, and not who we want to be. We need to find self love in order to be at peace with all that is around us.
- Heal broken relationship with a simple “I’m sorry”: It really is that easy. It doesn’t have to be this big elaborate thing. If you want to heal any relationship a simple “I’m sorry” will do. Doing this helps us move on and refocus and recenter our lives. If we want to be complete and free of guilt it is necessary for us to forgive, own up to what happened, and move on. I know it might be hard, but it only takes a few second and then you are on your way.
- Be open to, and ask for feedback: There is always room for improvement and growth. Take any opportunity you can to learn and expand yourself. Ask anyone that you are close, to or work with, how you can become better. And actually accept and acknowledge what they have to say. It might not be what you want to hear, but it might be what you need to hear.
- Positivity is a choice and way of life, always find the bright side: It’s as simple as that. Just choose to see the bright side in any situation and you are bound for success.
- In order to feel free we need to give our worries, fears, and doubts up to the Universe and just trust and have faith that everything will all be taken care of: This is something that is still very hard for me to do, but I am getting better and better every day.
- Fuel your body with the right foods and plenty of water to be your healthiest self: I truly feel at my best when I am eating the right foods for both my body and my health. When I eat right and drink plenty of water, I feel like I am radiating and have an abundant amount of energy. It is so important to nourish our bodies with the right things, I could go on and on, but I’ll save that for another day.
- Be present and put the phone down: When someone is talking to you, look them in the eyes and engage in the conversation. Be present and show them they are being heard. Our time is the most valuable thing that we have, and when we get to share it with other people, it is more meaningful.
- Surround yourself with the most positive and uplifting people: We have no time for negativity, plain and simple. If you want to live your best life and be surround by others who want the same things as you, then find them. Make changes in your life if you need to find your people. Optimism is contagious and it spreads. When you are around these people, you’ll be like that too.
- Anything you set your mind to, you CAN do: Don’t doubt yourself and be your own biggest cheer leader, and don’t give up. It takes will power and stamina, but just keep going.
- Learn to say “You’re welcome”: This was something I really learned to value this year. I always just used to say “No problem” but saying “You’re welcome” is more empowering and tells the other person that you heard them and respect them. And, they never implied it to be a problem to begin with, so why should we even consider it to be one?
- Be open to receiving gifts and don’t play it down: When someone gets you something because it made them think of you, be grateful and say thank you. Don’t say “you shouldn’t have” or “oh I don’t deserve that”. Accept the gift and tell them how much you appreciate it. And it’s not polite to durn it down.
- Give as much as you receive: Give your love, time, presence, and power. Use your skills to help others. Pay it forward and buy someone a nice little gift, even if it’s just a coffee or tea. It means a lot to others and it shows them you care.
- Start paying off your bills as soon, and as much as, you can: Whoa baby major life lesson here! I currently am a student so I have that debt that I need to pay off along with a few other bills and it is really teaching me to finance and budget. No one likes paying interest, so just start paying it now. Even if it’s just a little, it adds up to make a big difference.
- Let others help you: We weren’t put on this earth to do everything alone. Accept help from others and tell them thank you. Accept help in all aspect of your life and admit it to others when you need the help.
- Pets are friends too: Haha you might laugh at me for this one but it is so true! We all think that we have the cutest pets alive (which we do!) and it’s time we actually start giving them the love and attention they need. Think of them as tiny humans who have thoughts and feelings that need to be tended to too.
- Tell people what’s on your mind: Express your thoughts, feelings and emotions to others. Have an open communication channel that goes both ways. There is nothing worse then wanting to talk to someone and get something off of your chest, but they just don’t listen or pay attention to you.
- Take a leap of faith and try something new or outside of your comfort zone: I know we all hear this so much, but it really is true. Without trying new things we don’t have the chance or opportunity to grow and evolve. And, how could we possibly know if we like something or not if we don’t even try?
- Laugh more than you cry: Life will always have its own ups and downs but it’s more important to remember the ups. Take value in the good times and learn to treasure them for all you have. But on the other hand, take the low times as a learning lesson and see how you can grow from them.
- Receive love and give love: Ahh love, the four letter magical word that we all need a little more of. Love yourself, show love to others, and be open to receiving love from others. I am dedicating 2018 to the year of love, and I am loving it so far 😉 Don’t limit yourself and just encompass your whole life with love.
Ah and there we have it. 20 things that I learned in 20 years. I hope that you where able to take something valuable from this list and are able to apply it to your own life some how. Thank you for coming on today and sharing a little time with me on my birthday. I am so grateful for you and all of your continuous support.
And for now, as always
Have a great day!